Mt Eden Heritage Trail

Eden Hall & Poronui Flats

Eden Hall & Poronui Flats

 These are some of a number of small blocks of flats, which were built around the 1920s and 1930s in Mt Eden Road and surrounding streets. Another new feature of the area around this time were the numerous garages and carports constructed on many residential sites to...

Former Post Office

Former Post Office

 Though there had been a postal bureau in Mt Eden since 1885, the area did not have its own purpose built Post Office until 1909 when this building was erected. It originally housed a mailroom, and public area on the ground floor with accommodation above. It retains...

Early Shops

Early Shops

 In 1873 Alfred Cucksey established a store in a timber building on this site. Stokes Road on the southern boundary was dedicated in the same year. By 1905 newer, larger premises were desired and the brick Cucksey's building was built to the design of architect J.M....

Tram Shelter

Tram Shelter

 The tram passenger shelter at the entrance to Mt Eden Domain was built around 1910. Toilets were added prior to 1929. Above the tram shelter is Te Ngutu (The Lips), one of the ceremonial entrances to Maungawhau pa. It is one of a number of hierarchical entrances...

St Barnabas Church

St Barnabas Church

As the oldest church building in Mt Eden, St Barnabas began its life as a Maori chapel at Dunlop Point (Mechanics Bay). Built of pit-sawn Kauri under the direction of Bishop Selwyn to the design of architect Frederick Thatcher. The church fell into disuse on its...