Mt Eden Heritage Trail

Valley Road International Church

Valley Road International Church

 The wooden building on this site was erected in 1877 as Mt Eden's first school. It doubled as a church where combined Anglican, Wesleyan and Free Methodist services were held. With the removal of the school to a new site in 1879, the property was purchased by the...

Garage & Marriots Building

Garage & Marriots Building

 In 1896 the Mt Eden Bowling Club was established on this site. In 1926 the club decided to relocate to Nicholson Park and the property was sold. In early 1930 and 1931 plans were drawn up for shops with dwellings attached, and a petrol station and garage. Soon the...

Corner Of Essex Road

Corner Of Essex Road

 This prominent corner building was erected prior to 1905. Photos show that this side of Mt Eden Road was almost completely unbuilt, rural land in the late 1880s. Designed in a classical italianate style, this building was a significant addition to the village...

Till & Sons

Till & Sons

 Tills Bakery was established in Mt Eden in 1885 and around 1905 the present Till & Sons building was erected. Designed in a classical italianate style, this building retains its original verandah with posts, and some of its original shop front detail. During the...

Block From Essex Road To Ngauruhoe Street

Block From Essex Road To Ngauruhoe Street

 This block consists of a variety of buildings dating from as early as the nineteenth century. Many retain original shop front and interior details. Land was initially subdivided for housing, and villas were built facing onto Mt Eden Road. Between 1910 and 1920, with...

Methodist Church & Sunday School

Methodist Church & Sunday School

 In 1898 the site of this church was purchased and the following year a public meeting was held to gauge interest in erecting a Methodist church on the site. Forty people responded and fundraising began in earnest. Architect Arthur White was soon engaged to prepare...

Grange Road To Fairview Road

Grange Road To Fairview Road

 This block retains some of the original, substantial residences built close to the village around the turn of the 20th century. The stone walls are a prominent feature in Mt Eden, and some are likely to relate to early rural boundary locations.

The Crystal Palace Theatre

The Crystal Palace Theatre

 In 1928 the Crystal Palace theatre was erected by building contractor N. Cole for the Hippodrome Theatre Company. The building featured a dance hall in the basement and the entrance was flanked by shops. The theatre was originally designed for music hall and touring...

Windmill Domain

Windmill Domain

 Windmill Domain is named after Mt Eden's first industry. In 1844 William Mason established the Eden Flour Mill. Mason, who had been one of the founders of Auckland, would have a long career as a politician, Auckland's first flour miller, John Bycroft Snr was one of...

Greyfriars Church

Greyfriars Church

 Originally known as the Mt Eden Presbyterian Church, this reinforced concrete building was erected in 1916 and opened in 1917. The design was the work of architect Thomas Mullions and it was built by Archibald Grandison. In 1921 the basement was converted into...