Till & Sons

Tills Bakery was established in Mt Eden in 1885 and around 1905 the present Till & Sons building was erected. Designed in a classical italianate style, this building retains its original verandah with posts, and some of its original shop front detail. During the 1920s the bakery was a gathering place for some of the retired men of the district who would while away the hours chatting. Their fondness for eating peanuts earned them the name ‘The Peanut Club’.