St Barnabas Church

St Barnabas Church

As the oldest church building in Mt Eden, St Barnabas began its life as a Maori chapel at Dunlop Point (Mechanics Bay). Built of pit-sawn Kauri under the direction of Bishop Selwyn to the design of architect Frederick Thatcher. The church fell into disuse on its original site and was moved by bullock-drawn wagons to its current location in 1877.