In 1873 Alfred Cucksey established a store in a timber building on this site. Stokes Road on the southern boundary was dedicated in the same year. By 1905 newer, larger premises were desired and the brick Cucksey’s building was built to the design of architect J.M. Walker. The building cost 2,300 pounds and was erected by builder W. Firth. The buildings adjacent were erected in the 1920s and 30s.