This block consists of a variety of buildings dating from as early as the nineteenth century. Many retain original shop front and interior details.
Land was initially subdivided for housing, and villas were built facing onto Mt Eden Road. Between 1910 and 1920, with increased demand for commercial premises, new buildings were constructed on their front yards. These tended to be single level purpose built shops, without the accommodation at the upper level evident in the late Victorian examples. The villas can still be seen behind most of the shops in this block. The Circus Cafe is one of the earliest shops in the block, and retains its original shop front and interior detail.